October marked two years that I have been consistently (maybe not always frequently...) sharing my words here with you.
Words that turn into stories of hopes and struggles and victories and lessons and life lived messily and not always wisely but true, nonetheless.
Writing in this small space has been such a blessing to me. It's helped me process things and learn more about myself and about God. It's helped me lighten my load a bit when it seems too heavy, and it's helped me stay committed to recording all of this so that one day my children might read it and be encouraged.
Writing here has also been a blessing because of every one of you who choose to take the time to read these words I lay here. I've said it before, but there is a vast amount of words out here on the internet, and I know so well that you could very well pass over mine. And I wouldn't blame you at all. But you don't, and that means so, so much to me. You don't even know.
So, I want to say thank you. Thank you so much for reading these bits of myself I put here. I truly hope and pray that they leave you feeling more encouraged or lighter or more joy-filled or even just less alone than you did before you read them. And thank you to every one of you who has left me an encouraging comment or sent me a message. Those honestly make my days so much brighter. I love reading them so much.
This mamahood thing is so complex and wondrous and hard and lovely and emotional that it definitely helps to at least attempt to sort it all out with fellow mamas. One thing I've hoped for this blog is for it to not only be a place where my voice is heard, but where yours is too.
And so in honor of this blog existing for two years, I want to do something a little different with this post. And I really hope you'll help me. I realized that I share a lot of deep stuff here but maybe not a whole lot of details about me personally. So I'm going to share ten things about me...random, goofy, maybe boring but still true things about me. I also realize a lot of you who read this might already know me personally and might know these things, but that's ok.
Here's how I want you to help me: I want to get to know you better, too, so if you read this blog on a regular basis, would you consider leaving me a comment telling me one thing about yourself? Even if you've never left a comment before? Or you can let me know which kind of posts you like reading the most or just say hi. I would just like to get to know just a little bit better all of you who generously give me your time by reading my posts. I can see how many people read each post, but numbers only mean so much when you have no idea who they belong to. So even if it's just this once, I would love to hear from you!
So, I'll go first...ten things about me you may or may not know:
1. When I was in middle school, my dream was to become a famous pop singer. My friends and I formed a group and would "rehearse" on my karaoke machine. This was really fun and all, except that I can't sing. At all. I'm not tone deaf, I don't think, but I'm pretty close. So I had to face harsh reality and let this dream go. I am, however, really good at remembering lyrics.
2. If I had to pick a fantasy world to live in, I would probably pick Middle Earth, post-destruction of the Ring of Power, of course. And more specifically, the Shire. I would also definitely not be disappointed if I ended up in Narnia.
3. I have this OCD thing with bed sheets. They need to be all straight and where they should be or I get really flustered. My husband is a destroyer of bed sheet organization, and so I'm flustered often. Right now, my comforter is all bunched up at one end of its cover and everything is hanging more on my side of the bed and I'm kind of stressed out about it.
4. I have a degree in journalism and a minor in italian studies from the University of Florida.
5. I love the Olympics. They are like the Christmastime of sporting events. I could care less about any sports, honestly. Until the Olympics begin. We keep the tv on all day when the Olympics are happening. They give me this warm, fuzzy feeling inside, and I love how all these countries get together and for this one time, are unified in the spirit of good, clean sportsmanship (most of the time, at least...). It's so great.
6. Two of my favorite bands are Mumford and Sons and Coldplay.
7. I accepted Jesus as my savior when I was 10 years old, and though I have had rough patches filled with confusion and doubt, I believe that He is the only one who has the power to truly fill our hearts with joy and satisfaction. If you ever have questions about this or want to know more about why I believe this, I would be more than happy to talk with you! Just email me!
8. I have this huge fascination with the tiny house movement. I love watching shows and documentaries about it. I think I could totally live in a tiny house...if I had no kids and wasn't married. So right now, I just live vicariously through others who build or live in tiny houses. One time I saw a tiny house in real life, and it was so cool. I almost stopped and asked its owners if I could go look inside their tiny house, but I'm not that brave. Some people may not agree, but I think tiny houses are awesome.
9. I have a huge sweet tooth. I love all kinds of sweet things but especially Sour Patch Kids and Starburst and Skittles.
10. My husband and I met in college. We were in the same church and were friends for four years before we started dating. He actually asked me three times over the years of our friendship to be his girlfriend until I finally said yes in my fifth year of school (I switched majors a lot...). It takes me a while to work out my feelings sometimes, but I am so very thankful that he is the one I get to do this life with.